In Fall 2018, I designed under the instruction of Fred Scharmen and Ruth Connell as part of the class, Urban Design 511, a demographics study and several maps of the Polish city of ZamoÅ›Ä‡. Maps included a nolli map, circulation map, hierarchy map, geometry map and “derive study.”
View full final project PDF or per page in Google Drive. per page in Google Drive.
Summary of the City
Modern day ZamoÅ›Ä‡ is known as â€œThe Pearl of the Renaissance,â€ a town largely known for its tourism amenities, trade capacity amongst its neighboring towns, and its history as a fortress city in the 16th century. At its heart is the Great Market Square/â€œRynek Wielkiâ€, around which are two smaller plazas, multiple hotels, shops and restaurants, walk-up apart-ments, three catholic churches, many muse-ums including the Zamoyski Palace, and a former synagogue. Located along a major trade route between Lviv and Kiev, the city’s population was multicultural and multi-reli-gious from its beginning.
In addition to its three-century tradition of hosting public, international festivals at the Great Market Square, ZamoÅ›Ä‡’s modern-day tourism describes its retained bastions, older architecture (now an Unesco Heritage Site), and a tour of its underground tunnels. It also contains a grim past within the 20th century: its Jewish quarter is no-longer Jewish due to the city’s tumultuous occupation by the Nazi regime. During the occupation, the city expe-rienced the disappearance of 12,500 Jews (half the city’s population): from migration, exile to concentration camps or two public massacres in its streets. Unfortunately, this is common across Polish history; what is not common is the outstanding condition of the town as a whole, including its synagogue restoration, which combined with the condi-tion of the city’s bastions, add to the City’s character as an â€œideal townâ€ for tourism amongst modern-day Poles.
WWII was likely the last of signicant wars for the military fortress (e.g. against the Grand Chancellor in 1589, or the Swedes in the 17th century, or the Pol-ish-Russian war of 1920), in that as technology advanced by air, the bastions became obsolete. Today, its former military buildings and bastions are reused as restaurants, family centers, and other retail shops.
Evident via its long-lasting design, the city is at its essence, a city shaped along a central grid that directs visiting merchants, traders and tourists west-to-east to its Great Market Square, to commerce, then to pay their respects, be they of graciousness, taxational, or mental homage, to the Zamoyski Palace and to the city’s civic leadership.
Where the heart of the city is shaped around its Great Market Square, which combines the City Hall func-tions with that of commerce, its walls of the Square are brightly colored and vary in Armenian styles. With a street grid running across the city to each of its bastions, originally designed by architect Bernardo Morando of Padua, residents can walk or bicycle when not driving throughout the historic â€œold town.â€ Its outer communities are separated to the south by a recovered gate that aligns to a river that ows to the Labunka river along a green hillside, which today features a wide series of trails. These trails now sur-round the city leading to a larger park system. On the periphery within the bastion walls are parking lots near the central exits to east, north, and west; which connect to the wider suburban and rural ZamoÅ›Ä‡. In summary, the city continues to age with varying modern uses as a central trading hub to be enjoyed by and for many generations of Poles.